晝夜不睡覺不合眼,與安然睡覺(傳8章)
我專心求智慧、要看世上所作的事.(有晝夜不睡覺、不合眼的)我就看明神一切的作為.知道人查不出日光之下所作的事.任憑他費多少力尋查、都查不出來.就是智慧人雖想知道、也是查不出來。(傳 8:16-17)
好奇,是人的本能,所以對於事情的探究,總是鍥而不捨。讀到這裡的「有晝夜不睡覺、不合眼的」,心中突然冒出另一段經文:「你們清晨早起、夜晚安歇、喫勞碌得來的飯、本是枉然.惟有耶和華所親愛的、必叫他安然睡覺。(詩 127:2)」這節經文提到的,是相對的「安然睡覺」。
在我大學時期,因為就讀的科系是物理學系,常常要苦思計算式,與相關的邏輯關係。苦思,總是令人難以闔眼。當時讀到「安然睡覺」感覺心中有一股暖流,發現這才是真智慧。因為神不是要我們「應當一無掛慮、只要凡事藉着禱告、祈求、和感謝、將你們所要的告訴神。神所賜出人意外的平安、必在基督耶穌裏、保守你們的心懷意念。(腓 4:6-7)」嗎?
這裡的「一無掛慮」,是已經完全不再去想的意思,「凡事藉著禱告」就是使人能夠一無掛慮的前提。能夠無憂,是因為相信「神所賜出人意外的平安」,已經進入程序,在基督裡面已經蓄勢待發,只等時機成熟,必然成就。此時,又有何需要憂慮?
相對於神所愛的人的不必憂慮,世人總有擔心不完的事,因為他們沒有任何強而有力的膀臂,值得他們信靠。傳道書中的傳道者這麼有智慧,為何他還要想事情想到「晝夜不睡覺、不合眼的」?經文前面可以看見,他是在「專心求智慧」,但是想解開的問題卻是「要看世上所做的事」,而不是天上的事。他的大智慧,再加上他專注求明白的過人毅力,結果如何?他雖然最後「看明神的一切作為」,但是關於這樣的「看明」,卻寫了三次他的結論:「人查不出」、「都查不出來」、「也是查不出來」。
傳道書中傳道者的作為,在某些方面是為了成為我們的人生響導用,因為他表示他已經走過,包含一些錯誤的示範。所以我們不用再做同樣錯誤的嘗試,因他都已經做過了,結論就是虛空、查不出來、不知道。所以,「安然睡覺」才是真理,因為這是「耶和華所親愛的」,也就是那些被神所喜悅的人的福氣。保羅曾提醒提摩太,該專心在神的話語上的認識,至於其他無意義話題的探究,應當避免。對今天的教會而言,這些無意義的議題,也不需排入團契課程中,作為教會該探討的議題:
也不可聽從荒渺無憑的話語、和無窮的家譜.這等事只生辯論、並不發明神在信上所立的章程。(提後 1:4)
當然必要的探究,還是需要的,正如但以理直到人生約九十歲時,都還在專心求明白神的真理。詩篇詩人也說:
我趁天未亮呼求.我仰望了你的言語。我趁夜更未換、將眼睜開、為要思想你的話語。求你照你的慈愛、聽我的聲音.耶和華啊!求你照你的典章、將我救活。(詩 119:147-149)
若真需要「趁天未亮呼求」、「趁夜更未換、將眼睜開」,值得做這樣徹夜思考的事,就應該是「為要思想你的話語」。因為要明白神所要我們做的,並祈求神「照你的典章、將我救活」。至於世事,神早已計畫好,我們有何需要擔心?有何需要想不透?信主的人,有神可以依靠,就安然入睡吧!
〔大衛上行之詩。〕耶和華啊!我的心不狂傲、我的眼不高大.重大和測不透的事、我也不敢行。我的心平穩安靜、好像斷過奶的孩子在他母親的懷中.我的心在我裏面真像斷過奶的孩子。以色列啊!你當仰望耶和華、從今時直到永遠。(詩 131:1-3)
By Isaiah Kao
Sleepless Day and Night and Restful Sleep (Ecclesiastes 8)
“I applied my mind to know wisdom and to see the task which has been done on the earth (even though one should never sleep day or night), and I saw every work of God, I concluded that man cannot discover the work which has been done under the sun. Even though man should seek laboriously, he will not discover; and though the wise person should say, ‘I know,’ he cannot discover.” (Ecclesiastes 8:16–17, NASB 2020)
Curiosity is part of human nature, so when it comes to exploring things, people often persist without giving up. When I read the phrase “never sleep day or night,” another passage suddenly came to mind:
“It is useless for you to rise up early, to stay up late, to eat the bread of painful labors; for He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.” (Psalm 127:2, NASB 2020)
This verse speaks of the contrasting idea of “restful sleep.”
During my university years, as a physics major, I often had to wrestle with formulas and logical relationships. Such deep thinking often made it hard to close my eyes. At that time, when I read about “restful sleep,” it felt like a warm current flowing through my heart. I realized that this is true wisdom. For does not God tell us:
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and pleading with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6–7, NASB 2020)
Here, “do not be anxious” means no longer dwelling on worries. “In everything by prayer” is the condition that enables such freedom from anxiety. We can be without worry because we believe that “the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension,” has already been set in motion. In Christ, it is ready and waiting—once the time is right, it will surely be accomplished. At such a moment, what is there to worry about?
In contrast to those loved by God, who need not be anxious, people in the world always have endless concerns. This is because they have no mighty arm to rely on. The Preacher in Ecclesiastes was so wise—why then did he think to the point of “never sleeping day or night”? From the earlier context, we see that he was “applying his mind to know wisdom,” yet what he sought to understand was “the task done on the earth,” not the things of heaven.
With his great wisdom and extraordinary perseverance, what was the result? Although he eventually “saw every work of God,” regarding such understanding he repeated his conclusion three times: “man cannot discover,” “he will not discover,” and “he cannot discover.”
The actions of the Preacher in Ecclesiastes serve, in some ways, as guidance for our lives. He shows us paths he has already walked, including mistaken ones, so that we do not need to repeat them. His conclusion is clear: it is futility, undiscoverable, unknowable. Therefore, “restful sleep” is the truth, because it is given to “His beloved,” those who are pleasing to the Lord.
Paul also reminded Timothy to focus on the knowledge of God’s word and to avoid meaningless speculation. For today’s church, such empty topics should not be included in fellowship discussions:
“Nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to useless speculation rather than advancing the plan of God, which is by faith.” (1 Timothy 1:4, NASB 2020)
Of course, necessary seeking is still important. Just as Daniel, even around the age of ninety, continued to devote himself to understanding God’s truth. The psalmist also says:
“I rise before dawn and cry for help; I wait for Your words. My eyes anticipate the night watches, that I may meditate on Your word. Hear my voice according to Your faithfulness; revive me, Lord, according to Your ordinances.” (Psalm 119:147–149, NASB 2020)
If there is ever a need to “rise before dawn” or “stay awake through the night,” then it should be “to meditate on Your word.” For this is how we understand what God desires us to do and ask Him to “revive” us according to His ordinances.
As for the affairs of the world, God has already planned them. What is there for us to worry about? What is there that we must figure out completely? Those who believe in the Lord have God to rely on—so let us rest and sleep in peace.
“A Song of Ascents, of David. Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes arrogant; nor do I involve myself in great matters, or in things too difficult for me. I have certainly soothed and quieted my soul; like a weaned child resting against his mother, my soul within me is like a weaned child. Israel, wait for the Lord from this time on and forever.” (Psalm 131:1–3, NASB 2020)
留言